Procedures for Obtaining a Marriage License
Marriage licenses are issued by the Circuit Court Clerk, and are valid for 60 calendar days within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- To fill out the application online prior to visiting the office, Click Here.
- No appointment is necessary.
- Both parties must be present and present valid photo identification.
- Both parties must complete the marriage license application and make oath that the information provided in the marriage application is true under the penalty of perjury.
- Both parties must appear be 18 years of age or older (proof of age is required).
- $30.00 will be due when license is issued.
- Marriages are not performed by the Clerk's office.
Certified Copies of Marriage Licenses
To obtain a certified copy of a marriage license, the license must have originally been issued by the Bristol Virginia Circuit Court Clerk's Office.
Copies may be obtained in person or through the mail.
Please provide the name of both parties and the date of marriage, along with $3.00 for each certified copy.
If obtaining copies through the mail, please send the above information along with payment and self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
Bristol VA Circuit Court Clerk
497 Cumberland Street
Courthouse, Room 210
Bristol, VA 24201
If a marriage occurred within the Commonwealth of Virginia and the Circuit Court from which the license was issued is unknown, please contact the Division of Vital Records in Richmond for copies:(804) 662-6200.