About the DivisionThe Communications Division is responsible for receiving emergency and routine telephone calls from the general public. There are 12 dispatchers and one warrants clerk in the division. The division is operated on a 24-hour basis. Emergency 9-1-1 traffic is centered in the Department Communications Section. This department is under command of the Administrative Division commander.
Areas of responsibility include:
- Dispatching police, fire, and emergency medical units
- Dispatching Virginia State Police Med-Flight II Helicopter
- Accessing information provided through VCIN / NCIC for use of officers and administrative personnel
- Providing emergency medical advice for those in need while emergency medical personnel are en route to emergency 9-1-1 calls.
- Answering all calls to the police non-emergency phone number and reroute calls to appropriate personnel, departments, or agencies
- Providing information to responding units about nature of calls, address, victims, and if offender is present
- Gathering information on road conditions
- Providing information to other city departments concerning problems such as water main breaks, street lights out, trees down, damaged pavement, etc.
- Entering data using the in-house computer systems as well as the state and federal systems.
- Providing general information to the public about the department, community, and region