Code of Conduct
Bristol Virginia Transit Code of Conduct
Bristol Virginia Transit (BVT) has adopted this Code of Conduct to regulate conduct on Transit vehicles and property. This Code of Conduct shall help ensure the safety, security, comfort, and convenience of all those who use BVT’s services.
This Code of Conduct applies to all activities that occur in or on Bristol Virginia Transit buses and other vehicles; the Downtown Transfer Center; and any other passenger facilities including bus shelters, waiting areas, and designated stops.
All riders of Bristol Virginia Transit are expected to abide by the following rules:
- Have your fare ready when the bus arrives.
- Pay the appropriate fare immediately upon entering the bus.
- No loud music or other noise is permitted on BVT vehicles. Please use headphones.
- No eating, drinking, smoking, or vaping is permitted on BVT vehicles.
- Drink containers must have screw-on lids.
- No alcoholic beverages are permitted.
- Intoxicated individuals shall not be permitted to board or ride any Transit vehicle.
- Open containers of alcohol or other intoxicating substances (for example, marijuana or other drugs) are not permitted on Transit vehicles.
- Littering is not permitted on BVT vehicles or Transit property. Do not deface or otherwise damage BVT vehicles or property.
- Lying down on the seats or floor of Transit vehicles is not permitted. Sleeping is not permitted on Transit vehicles, benches, floors, or other Transit property.
- Strollers and walkers must be folded up and kept with the passenger for the duration of their ride.
- Bus operators are not responsible for transporting passenger possessions (bags, boxes, etc.) on or off the bus.
- Passengers may not leave personal items on the bus when they exit the vehicle. All items brought aboard the bus by a passenger must exit the bus with the passenger.
- The items a passenger may bring onto the bus are limited to what the passenger can carry on and off in one trip and be held in the passenger’s lap. Passengers may not store items in another area of the bus, in the aisles, or in another seat.
- No personal items are permitted in the rear of the bus or in the aisles.
- Bus operators and/or Transit staff reserve the right to remove from the vehicle or Transit property any individual behaving in a manner deemed unsafe.
- Any passenger who threatens another passenger or the bus operator will be removed from the vehicle and/or Transit property.
- Service animals are permitted on Transit vehicles. Individuals on Transit vehicles or property may not allow any animal to run at large without a leash or unreasonably disturb others.
- Pet waste must be picked up by the pet owner. Pet owners shall not leave pet waste on Transit property.
- Engaging in public communications activities or commercial activities on Transit vehicles or properties is not permitted except as authorized by the City of Bristol Virginia.
- Passengers are not permitted to extend anything through the door or window of any Transit vehicle.
- Hanging or swinging on bars inside a Transit vehicle or other Transit property is not permitted. Hanging onto or otherwise attaching oneself at any time to the exterior of a Transit vehicle or other Transit property is not permitted.
- Spitting, expectorating, urinating or defecating is not permitted on Transit property except in restroom facilities. Spit cups or bottles are not permitted.
- Flammable liquids and/or flammable or non-flammable explosives are not permitted on Transit property. Acid or any other article or material of a type or in a manner that is likely to cause harm to others is not permitted on Transit property.
- Intentionally obstructing or impeding the flow of Transit vehicle or passenger movement, hindering or preventing access to Transit property, causing unreasonable delays in loading or unloading, reclining or occupying more than one seat, or in any way interfering with the provision or use of Transit services is not permitted.
- Disturbing others by engaging in loud, racist, unruly, harmful, abusive or harassing behavior is not permitted.
- Defacing, destroying, or otherwise vandalizing Transit property or any signs, notices, or advertisements in or on Transit property is not permitted.
- Entering non-public areas, including but not limited to the driver’s seat area, is not permitted.
- Individuals failing to present a valid transfer or otherwise failing to pay the appropriate fare as required may be removed from Transit property and risk being banned from riding Transit vehicles in the future.
- Individuals presenting a non-Transit-issued, counterfeit or expired transfer as proof of fare payment may be removed from Transit property and risk being banned from riding Transit vehicles in the future.
- Individuals falsely representing themselves as eligible for a special or reduced fare may be removed from Transit property and risk being banned from riding Transit vehicles in the future.
- Individuals who bring onto Transit property odors which unreasonably disturb others or interfere with their use of the Transit system, whether such odors arise from one’s person, clothes, articles, accompanying animal or any other source, may be removed from Transit property and risk being banned from riding Transit vehicles in the future.
- Individuals who bring onto Transit property issues that are deemed a safety hazard to other passengers and drivers, including but not limited to bedbugs and head lice, may be removed from Transit property and risk being banned from riding Transit vehicles in the future. Any passenger found to have bedbugs shall be required to present documentation from a Licensed Exterminator stating that they are free of bedbugs prior to returning to any Transit property. Any passenger found to have head lice must have the head lice treated prior to returning to any Transit Property.
Any individual in violation of any portion of this Code of Conduct may be asked to leave the Transit vehicle and/or property immediately and shall be ineligible for Bristol Virginia Transit service until notified by Transit staff.
Safety and security issues are treated with the highest priority. Please notify a driver if you see or hear an activity in violation of this Code of Conduct.
If you witness a serious crime being committed or a medical emergency while on a Transit bus, alert the driver and call 9-1-1 to report the problem when it is safe to do so. Be prepared to give the bus number, route name, and the location of the vehicle.
Violation of the Code of Conduct may result in a minimum of a written warning for a first offense. A second offense may result in denial of service for up to thirty (30) calendar days. Multiple or serious infractions may result in permanent denial of Transit services and/or prosecution in a court of law. Individuals in violation of this Code of Conduct who have been advised of their ineligibility for service shall not be permitted on property operated by the Bristol Virginia Transit System.
The primary role of the Bristol Virginia Transit Bus Driver is the safe and efficient transportation of passengers. Should problems arise on the bus, the driver’s first priority is to determine if a passenger’s safety or security is at stake. The driver will assess the severity of the problem and resources available and respond accordingly. The bus driver shall respond to each situation as he or she deems appropriate. The driver may choose to talk to the passenger and/or call for assistance. In the case of a minor infraction, the driver shall continue on route rather than inconvenience other riders by delaying service. All incidents shall be reported to the Transit Driver Supervisor for final disposition.
Bristol Virginia Transit is pleased to welcome service animals on Transit vehicles and property. Service animals are individually trained to perform tasks for the benefit of the person with a disability that such person is unable to perform due to such disability. All service animals must be harnessed while on Transit property.
Bristol Virginia Transit personnel have the right to refuse admission to or eject any passenger accompanied by an animal, including a service animal, which poses a direct threat to the safety of other passengers.
Transit Department: (276) 645-7384
Complaints: (276) 645-7384